Step by Step: Still Life
This past year I have been able to paint with a small group of professional artists in Maynard MA. While teaching, I wanted to take them through the step by step process that I had learned at The Water Street Atelier. Below is each step in this process for doing a still life painting. The Drawing : this is the most essential part of the whole process. I use my drawing (done from life) to recreate the 3 dimensional world on my 2 dimensional paper. I'm mapping over the set up so many times that I become really familiar with the objects and the orientation of the light to the objects. Transfer to Canvas : In this step, I get a printout of my drawing to scale, and do a paint transfer to canvas. Essentially its rubbing paint on the back of paper and then applying the paper over the canvas. I use a ball point pen over the printout to push the paint onto the canvas. when my drawing is transferred and dry, I go back in and do a open grisaille. This is done usually in on...

Comments
Thanks for the kind words.
Most of my portraits are done so the head is about 2 inches in high. I usually work on 18 x 24 inch paper, so I have room to work out problems on the side of the paper. I use a HB pencil and a Kneaded eraser. HB is a good mid range pencil that won't dig into the paper, but can also get some nice darks. Some people use multiple pencils, to keep the lights in a range, and to keep the darks in a certain range.
Best,
Todd