Poster Studies




I'm posting some poster studies that I've worked on in the last few month. They are for the 2 paintings that I'm working on now, and hope to have completed in the next few months. I've also posted the study for the last still life I completed.

Poster studies are a very important part of my paintings. I try to finish the usually 5 x 7 painting in about 2-3 hours from life, so that my decisions are based on other decisions that are being painted. When form painting on the larger painting, I tend to focus on the small area that I'm rendering (sometimes referred to as window shading technique), but with the poster study I can focus on creating the picture as a whole. I then refer to the poster to make sure that those larger relationships are transferred to the final painting.

Comments

Danny Grant said…
I need one of these. Trade you . . .

Popular posts from this blog

Color Wheel/Color Theory

Step by Step: Still Life

Small Series of drink paintings